Sunday, February 07, 2010

The absurdity of being an original "artist."




Going through Cynthia Yardley's blog, I stumbled upon a photograph very similar to something I took from the seawall half a block from my place. Guess what? She took her photograph TWO MONTHS before I took mine. While I have no idea where she took her photo, I was wondering if she was thinking of Hiroshi Sugimoto when she pressed her shutter release button the same way I was when I took my own seascape.

I don't doubt that Yardley is familiar with Sugimoto's seascapes. Contemporary art history (not to mention philosophy) is sort implied requirement in most MFA programs in the U.S. She must have known about Sugimoto's work, but I'm not entirely sure she was motivated by his work like I was. Who cares anyway, right? At any rate, I'm glad that someone else took the time to stare across the ocean and document its mysterious way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home